Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Professor - Ch. 7.2

Since she didn’t have another class until noon, Aurelia decided to follow Baron to his office and inquire more about the crime lab job. Yes, she felt awkward about being in his presence again, but she wanted that job. She needed that job.

Pride and shame be gone!

Even more pleased to find Aurelia so prompt about the job announcement, Baron closed the door behind them and quickly gave her the contact information she required. He also explained a few more details about the position to make sure she knew exactly what she was getting into.

“Thanks so much, Professor. I really appreciate this opportunity,” Aurelia replied, upon hearing him out.

“You’re welcome, Miss Bunting. Make the most of it.”

“I will.” Aurelia gave him a dimpled smile as she rose to her feet.

“If you could just linger a few minutes longer, I’d like to discuss a few other things with you,” Baron said, halting her departure as he broached a new subject. He didn’t have another class until noon, too, and so was in no rush to conclude their meeting. Besides, there was the matter of that apology he owed her.

Aurelia immediately stiffened. Her smile flew away like a bird seeking shelter from a storm. “Discuss what, Professor?” she asked cautiously, sitting back down again.

“Discuss the grave mistake I made with you,” Baron replied, clasping his large hands together on top of the desk.

“M…mistake?” Aurelia’s ears grew hot. Although she labeled what happened between them a mistake, too, it still grieved her to know that he felt the same way.

“Yes. I made the mistake of thinking that you were something you weren’t,” Baron clarified, talking discreetly even though the door was closed. “Dingo explained the situation to me when I went to the club. Therefore, I apologize for any discomfort or embarrassment I caused you as a result of that incident. It was certainly not my intent.”

A different kind of heat shot through Aurelia’s body now. The fact that he had searched her out at Dingo’s had her feeling hot and bothered again. The fact that he now knew the truth about her put her mind at ease. It was comforting to know that he didn’t think bad of her.

“All is forgiven, Professor. I can’t really blame you for the misunderstanding given the…um…circumstances,” Aurelia assured him, finally relaxing in her seat.

“Even so, I’m truly sorry that I misjudged you. I also want to reassure you that I will maintain and respect all student/teacher boundaries.”

Aurelia let out a loud sigh of relief. That had been another concern of hers.

“For as long as you are in my class,” Baron added, finally allowing the desire he’d been holding at bay since she entered his office to surface in his eyes. There was a plethora of it, too.

Another wave of heat shot through Aurelia’s body. She swallowed over the thick lump in her throat before speaking. “Wh…what is going to happen after I get out of your class, Professor?” she forced out, involuntarily licking her lips.

At the sight of her tongue, Baron inhaled sharply and semi-rose from his seat. Had he not quickly remembered where they were, he would have gone over and kissed her socks off…on school property.

“Anything you want to happen, Au-rel-ia,” Baron whispered huskily, forcing his body back down in his chair.

Aurelia let out a low moan at that open invitation to have something more permanent with him. The peaks of her bosom strained against her shirt at the sexy way he rolled her name off his Latin tongue. A pulsating began in her valley.

Even still, Aurelia had to exercise caution. “A lot can happen between now and then, Professor. By the time I’m out of your class, you might not be conducive for such a thing.”

“I will be,” Baron said without hesitation, without even blinking an eye.

“How can you be so sure?”

Baron leaned forward and gave her an intense stare. “Because after talking to Dingo and after replaying that night over again in my head for the umpteenth time, I realized that that night was just as special to you as it was to me. That although it was a bad way to start off a relationship, our compatibility was undeniable and certainly worth exploring further. The fact that you single-handedly pulled me out of the depths of heartbreak and opened my world back up to happiness makes me want to wait on you forever if I have to.”

At those heartfelt words, Aurelia snatched her gaze away, lest she climb across that desk and kiss him until the cows came home. Since there weren’t too many cows in the whole state of California that kiss would last a long time.

“Wow, Professor. You sure have a way with words,” Aurelia said, looking down at her hands just to keep from looking at him. She’d never met a man that was so upfront with his feelings. It was highly stimulating.

“And you sure have a way with me as I recall,” Baron replied huskily, before clearing his throat. “So do I have permission to pursue you once the coast is clear?” he asked, looking for consent now as he spoke in his normal voice again.

“Yes,” Aurelia whispered, lifting her gaze to his again. She was flattered that the gorgeous, accomplished man even wanted to pursue her further. A man like him could have his pick of available women.

“Great.” Baron smiled. “And Aurelia?”

“Yes, Professor?”

“Work hard in my class, because the only free ride you will ever get from me will be in the bedroom.”

Aurelia smiled, showing off those adorable dimples again. “That’s the only free ride I want.” She stood to her feet, ready to prove to this gorgeous man that she could hold her own in every way. “See you in class, Professor,” she concluded as she headed for the door.

“Yes, and don’t be late again,” Baron replied, teasing her about today’s tardiness.

“I won’t.” Aurelia chuckled at the door. Upon opening it, she found Professor Rhoda Griffey on the other side just about to knock. “Hello, Professor Griffey,” Aurelia said in greeting on her way out the door.

“Aurelia,” Rhoda replied curtly, remembering this particular student from her freshman year, though she didn’t want to.

How could the slender blonde woman forget the V.I. native? Aurelia was the only student that ever earned a perfect score on all of Rhoda’s chemistry exams, passing each one with flying colors. To this day, she wondered if Aurelia had somehow stolen her tests and gotten the answers in advance.

But what caused Rhoda to literally start hating the V.I. native was when Aurelia pulled an innocent prank in her class. A prank which the other students readily joined in on, making it even more nerve grating for the female professor. Who cares that the prank was harmless and also justifiable because it was done on April Fool’s Day? Now Rhoda fought not to scowl every time Aurelia was around.

Pushing those thoughts aside the same way she’d stepped aside and let Aurelia exit the office a few seconds ago, Rhoda focused on the man at the desk instead. “Professor Weaver, do you have time to chit-chat with a colleague?” she asked, entering the office uninvited.

“I can give you five minutes,” Baron replied, pasting a neutral expression on his face. He might have given Rhoda more time if he hadn’t noticed how disrespectfully she treated Aurelia just then.

She gets forty minutes and I only get five?” Rhoda asked, looking peeved…and jealous as she boldly sat down in the empty visitor’s chair and made herself comfortable.

She is a student. As I recall, she’s the very reason we were hired to teach here. Why would I not give her more of my time?” Baron replied, incensed that the nosy woman had actually counted how long Aurelia was in his office.

Was Rhoda some kind of stalker chick? Megan had been a borderline stalker, so he knew exactly what signs to look for. In the short time he’d known Rhoda she’d already displayed several of those signs. The most irritating one of all was constantly trying to start a romantic relationship he clearly didn’t want.

Rhoda’s pale skin turned crimson with embarrassment at his blunt rebuke. “I’m sorry. I was just hoping you and I could go grab a bit of lunch together, that’s all. My hunger caused me to grow impatient and irritable in my wait. I apologize.”

Baron nodded, although he didn’t believe a word she said. “In any case, I always bring my lunch to work with me. I try not to put fast food in my body and I seldom eat out at even the most upscale of restaurants.”

“Really?” Rhoda’s eyes roamed over his muscular body. “Are you a vegan? You don’t look lean enough to be a vegetarian.”

“No, just very health conscious. I like to know what goes into my food before I eat it. In order to do that, I have to be very familiar with the chef or else prepare the food myself.”

“How ever do you manage at dinner parties?” Rhoda asked, thoroughly intrigued by him now.

“To be polite to my host or hostess, I partake of the meals they offer, yet in small quantities. I also eat before I arrive, so that I won’t be tempted to overindulge in the wrong things,” Baron replied, ready to bring this particular Spanish Inquisition to an end. “Now if that’s all, I have some things to attend to.”

“Right. We’ll finish where we left off later,” Rhoda said, practically begging for an invite to return to his office later.

Baron suppressed a frown. He also refrained from nodding in reply, refusing to give her any kind of encouragement. He never wanted Rhoda to return to his office. Ever!

Now Aurelia was another story. That sexy brown woman could come as often as she liked. Stay as long as she liked, too.

Although this conversation was far from over with Rhoda, she decided not to push her luck with Baron today. Thus she rose to her feet instead of lingering longer. Rhoda knew that if she wanted this man as her own, which she did, she was going to have to practice some patience. If only that wasn’t such a weak point in her character.


© 2009 by Mi’Chelle Dodson/Suprina Frazier

6 comments:

  1. I'm about to call it a night, y'all, and go show some love to a few other online authors.

    Hopefully all the posts I put up today got everybody caught up with the story. From this point on, there is only new stuff, some already written and/or mapped out. Others unwritten and just waiting to be needed in the story. A few of those haven't even been thought of yet, so they'll really be hot off the press.

    See y'all tomorrow afternoon.

    Toodles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A might have to take the earrings off and get the vaseline on the rhoda skank before the show is over... oh sorry... my detroit roots popping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to the new post. Baron kind of reminds me of Royal a little with his determination to get what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia: LOL!!! Not the vaseline and earring removal, girl. We do/did (I'm reformed now. lol) that down south, too.

    Paula: Come to think of it, Baron reminds me of Royal, too. Except Royal was sprung BEFORE he and Delia ever slept together. Baron got sprung...well, you know when he got sprung. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. didnt know you continued with this story. cool im jumping in

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lilo: Yes, we started last week. Hmm...maybe I need to send out another reminder email and do some shout-outs on my other blogs.

    Anyway, glad you're on board now though.

    ReplyDelete