Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Professor - Ch. 19.2

“I’m too close to graduating to let anything stop me now, not even my dignity,” Aurelia said, forcing her gaze upwards. “Dingo said I could always come back to his club if I ever needed to.”

Baron’s nostrils flared. His mind instantly calculated how many lap dances she’d have to do in order to make tuition in time. And that’s if her customers were as generous as him when he was Aurelia’s lap dance recipient.

“Before you leave school today, make arrangements to take all of your finals early. I’ll stop by your apartment later tonight with a round-trip plane ticket and the necessary funds for next semester’s tuition,” Baron replied decisively, thinking that one lap dance was one too many for his woman to give to another man.

Aurelia’s eyes bucked, though she should have been used to his generous nature by now. “I can’t deny that I need the help, Baron, but don’t you think that’s too much too soon? I mean, we’ve only been a quasi couple for fifteen minutes and already you’re playing the role of sugar daddy. I don’t want you to think that money is all our relationship will be about. I don’t want our love tainted by dollar signs.”

“First of all, I’m too young to be anybody’s sugar daddy.” Baron chuckled. “Second of all, I’m willing to turn this gift into a loan, if it’ll make you feel better. Matter of fact, consider this a loan to a hardworking student in dire circumstances.”

“A loan?” Aurelia’s left brow rose in interest at that prospect.

“Yes.” Baron smiled. “A zero-interest loan at that. This way, you can still be there for your family, pay for school, and maintain your dignity.” He left out that this loan would enable him to maintain his sanity, because if she went back to Dingo’s, Baron was going to lose his mind with jealousy. Probably stalk the club every night and run the risk of angering Dingo and Six-Eight.

“As for your jobs, if you work as hard for them as you do in your classes, I’m sure your bosses will understand your need to make this trip and thus oblige you the time off that you need. I know for a fact that Liam will,” he added just to sweeten the deal.

Aurelia remained silent. Her gaze drifted around the office as she mulled things over in her head.

First of all, her two jobs weren’t going to cut it in this situation. Not with the limited amount of time she was working with. Secondly, the excess profits from her perfume were minimal after finally paying Bambi off. What little remained had been sent home, too.

Thirdly, more financial aid was out of the question. Aurelia had applied for every grant and scholarship she could before having to take out so many student loans. Loans which still hadn’t covered the high cost of AU’s tuition.

Now Baron was proposing another loan, one with no interest and no strings attached. Meaning, she would just owe him the principle of the loan and nothing else, not even sex. Which also meant that she’d get to accomplish her goals, keep her dignity, and her man.

Aurelia would be a fool not to take this loan!

“I accept your offer, Baron,” she finally replied, looking at him with glossy eyes full of emotion. “And thanks for always being there for me in my times of need.”

“You’re…” Baron stopped to clear his throat after an unexpected wave of deep emotion washed over his soul. Oh, how he loved this woman! “You’re welcome,” he continued, upon regaining his composure. “As for my class, just check your inbox for study notes. I can give you the final on Thursday if you’re ready by then.”

“I’ll be ready by then,” Aurelia said determinedly.

“Great.” Baron smiled at her fortitude. Outside of his mother and Paula Jackson, he’d never met a more determined woman. “What time should I drop everything by tonight?”

“Anytime after 10pm. I should be home from work by then. Do you remember my address or do I need to write it down for you? I also need to give you my phone number.” Needing writing utensils, she reached down beside the chair for her backpack.

“I remember your address. As for your phone number, I’ve had that since the first day of class,” Baron confessed. Then he quoted it by memory just to prove it.

Another woman might have been scared by this new revelation, but not Aurelia. Tingles attacked her body all over to know that Baron was interested in her enough to go digging for her personal information. Besides, the fact that he hadn’t used that information once to harass her proved that he was harmless.

Most stalkers had violent tendencies and would have acted upon any personal data they had on their victims by now. They certainly wouldn’t have waited for permission to call like Baron had.

“Well, I guess I’ll see you after 10pm then,” Aurelia said, using her hands to brush any wayward hairs back into her ponytail before standing to leave.

Baron simply nodded, unable to trust himself to even speak right now as thick desire coursed through his veins. Her casual acceptance of his knowledge of her personal information had him on fire. For it meant that she didn’t mind him knowing that information. That she wasn’t afraid of him. That she had a level of trust in him already.

A solid relationship could be built off of such trust. Baron planned to do just that…all the way to the altar.

“There’s just one more thing I need from you before I go,” Aurelia said at the closed door.

“What is it?” he forced out after swallowing over the emotional lump in his throat.

“I need you to officially break off all social contact with Jordin and any other woman you’ve been dating lately.”

“Done. Will you do the same with Claude?”

“I’m willing to try, even though it’s going to be extremely hard with him being in so many of my classes, including yours. Plus, we’re only just friends like I stated before. Claude and I never dated. Not even once.”

“In that case, just keep a reasonable distance from him and I’ll be happy,” Baron compromised.

“I can definitely do that.” Aurelia smiled.

Baron smiled in return. “By the way, when are you due to check on your brother again?”

Aurelia’s eyes watered again as his concern touched her heart. “In another two hours or so,” she said, looking down at her black-faced wrist watch. “I’m trying to let my mother get in a few more Z’s before I phone her again for another update.”

“That’s considerate. I look forward to hearing all about that update when I come over later, okay?”

“Okay,” Aurelia replied, blinking her eyes free. “Times like these make me love you even more, you know that?”

“I love you, too, baby,” Baron said, forcing himself to remain in his seat after those words. Though he stayed put, his eyes roamed. They roamed over Aurelia’s departing frame, zoomed in on her shapely bottom that not even her baggy black sweat suit could hide.

Beautiful. Just beautiful, Baron thought, looking forward to making love to her again.


© 2009 by Mi’Chelle Dodson/Suprina Frazier

No comments:

Post a Comment